Getting to Tanzania
There are direct and one-stop flights from overseas to Dar es Salaam, Kilimanjaro (near Arusha) and Zanzibar Island. Arusha town is the starting point for Tanzania’s most popular Northern Safari Circuit. Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA) is situated 46km/29mi east of Arusha. Tanzania’s main airport is Julius Nyerere International Airport (DAR) located 13km/8mi southwest of Dar es Salaam. The latter is the entry-point for visitors to the southern parks.
Moving on from Arusha or Dar es Salaam you can fly or drive between reserves or you can opt to do a bit of both. Some domestic flights out of Arusha will leave from Kilimanjaro International Airport, but most flights to reserves leave from the much smaller Arusha Airport (ARK) located 8km/5mi west of town. However you choose to travel, we will pick you up from the airport and arrange all further transportation as part of your safari package.
PASSPORT, VISA AND OTHER ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- Entry requirements can change, so please contact your local Tanzania embassy to verify the information below is current.
- A passport is required for all foreign visitors and has to be valid for at least six months.
- Passports must have a clean and a full visa page for endorsement.
- When arriving from a yellow-fever-infected country in Africa or the Americas a yellow fever vaccination and document is required.
- Citizens of most countries require a visa, which can be obtained at arrival.
- It is possible, however, to obtain a tourist’s visa for a single entry at any one of the following four main entry points to Tanzania, subject to the fulfilment of all immigration and health requirements:
- Dar es Salaam International Airport
- Zanzibar International Airport
- Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA)
- Namanga Entry Point (Tanzania-Kenya boarder point)
- Pay the visa-processing fee, which, at time of publication, was USD $100 for a 12-month multiple entry visa for United States’ citizens. The fee for non U.S. citizens is USD $50 for a single-entry visa and USD $100 for a double-entry visa.